Northern Corridor Community Volunteers
Outlook and Aims
- Promoting, Protecting and Nurturing Greenspace for community wellbeing - litter picks - improving paths - community growing and habitat conservation projects
- Climate and Biodiversty Emergency Action, promoting active travel, woodland creation and expansion, upcylcing and the circular economy.
- Promoting Natural, Cultural, Educational and Historical Assets - promoting the history and culture of the area for future generations including links with education service
Strathkelvin Railway Path Exhibition and Consultation - Have your say
Ebike Loan Scheme - Cut the Carbon Cost if your Commute
WILD ABOUT SUMMER - Family Events
COMMUNITY PATHS AROUND THE 7 LOCHS - Better Places Consultation 2021
CHRYSTON BIKE LIBRARY - Free bike hire for Northern Corridor Residents
Midweek Volunteering - Community Tree Nursery and Garden- Supported by the Enabling Communities Fund
- Midweek day time events covering a ruling programme of pathwork, tree planting and aftercare, community growing, garden project, recycling projects, craft days and anything volunteers wish to add. This is a volunteer led project with the aim of creating a supportive environment for everyone to become involved in improving the communities we live in, reducing isolation, providing training and development opportunities, and supporting volunteers who face barriers to community volunteering, for instance due to low incomes, by providing travel expenses, lunch and refreshments and essential items like safety equipment.
Paths and Walking Groups - Supported by Paths for All and Sustrans
- Our community surveys indicated that lack of safe walking paths and quality outdoor space in the area, were top of the list in terms of what communities wanted the group to act on, we listened and our paths project is developing nicely.
- Two Weekly walking groups established in Moodiesburn, with new walks starting soon on other areas
- Two grants from Paths for All to reopen and signpost community paths
- Engaging with North Lanarkshire Outdoor Access Forum to put the Northern Corridor on their map
- Long term ambitious cooperation with NLC and sustrans to improve the Strathkelvin Railway Path
- Website and Leaflets
Supporting Communites with Planning Issues and building capacity to ensure local voices are heard in the planning process
Engaging at national level on a community response to the climate emergency
- Campaigning for low carbon solutions and the circular economy
- Education around human impacts on the health of our environment - including non native invasive species, promoting biodiversity and reducing light pollution.
- Organise litter picks
- identify areas that need improvement
- Report Local Fly-tipping to North Lanarkshire Council
- Keep our villages looking the best they can be
- Organise weekend activities - such as nature identification walks and walking our rights of way
- Investigate which locally significant trees have TPO's in place and gain protection for those that do not
- Investigate sources of funding available to improve local environment
- Investigate sources of available community training
- preserve, record and encourage wildlife habitats
Biodiversity Challenge Fund
In partnership with the Seven Lochs Partnership and Cumbernauld Living Landscape - this project will create new areas of wildlife habitat and remove invasive non native species from existing habitats. Wildflower meadow sites will be created in several areas and new woodland established.
New Woodland Creation
Creating a new community woodland area at Crowwood Golf course to combat the climate emergency and species loss.
- Pull together information from historical sources on the area to preserve local heritage and increase knowledge
- Assist local History Groups with their activities
- 13 Heritage Trail Board installed - with maps and info for Heritage trail online by Feb 2021.
Working with young people in the Moodiesburn area to bring about community improvement. Designed by the young people through a series of intergenerational events aimed at bringing together the community as a whole and creating resillience and cohesion.
In partnership with Cloudberry Communities CIC and funded by Paths for All - Smarter Choices, Cmarter Places Open Fund - to deliver a one year programme to promote local path networks, encourage use of everyday active travel to reduce increase health and reduce the problems associated with unneccesary traffic.
Pivot Community Centre Growing Space
Supported by a variety of funders with groups of volunteers in Partnership with NLC Community Learning and Development team.
Pivot OWLS - Under 5's Outdoor Learning
Supported by Comic Relief this ambitious project aims to ensure that low income familues and people in areas of geographic deprivation have access to free outdoor learning opportunities - children must be accompanied by a parent or carer.
Chryston Community Garden
Using the power of volunteering to transform an unloved underised space into a relaxing, engaging shared space for the community - woth a focus on helping wildlife and community wellbeing
- Moodiesburn Active Travel hub.
- Northern Corridor Community Tool Library - A resource for local community groups with their own insurance to borrow garden tools for community projects.
- Community Woodlands Group
- Repair Cafe, Community Arts and Skill Sharing Workshops
- Grow, Cook, Share - local food growing to combat food insecurity, enhance healthy eating and provide a community based model of food sharing.
Facebook Group Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NCCVols/